We'd never been to Canada. Ben has wanted to go to the Rockies there for years and we finally made it happen!
Ben planned out each day and did a great job taking into account my limitations. :) Our trip was split into two parts: Part 1 was spent in a condo in Canmore where we drove the 30 minutes to Banff National Park for 2 days of exploring. Part 2 was spent in the Golden mountains, in a cabin, in the middle of nowhere for 3 nights.
Part 1 Highlights:
- Canmore was a great little town, so cozy and only 30 minutes from Banff National Park.
- We visited the town of Banff one day and it was a bit bigger. We had a really yummy lunch there.
- Our 2 days in Canmore, we drove to Banff National Park and saw MANY sites including: Lake Louise, Emerald Lake, Bow Falls, Bow River and Bow Lake, Morraine Lake, Peyto Lake (one of my faves), Tukakkaw Falls, and rode the gondola to the top of Sulphur Mountain. THAT was awesome. Once at the top, we took the stairs to reach the highest point on the mountain 8,000+ ft high!! I had to stop and rest several times because it was hard to breathe! The air up there was so thin. It was well worth the 360 degree view of the mountains though!!
- I slept in each morning. Heaven. I didn't realize how much my body needed sleep until I got it!
- Ben was up before me each morning off exploring on his own. :)
- Several hikes had signs like "cougar (or bear) warning" or "groups of 4 or more only because of bear sightings". Um, no thanks. Ha!
- We spent the majority of each day out and about, but were back to the condo in the afternoon to rest and then head out to town for dinner.
- We woke up on Saturday morning to snow! It was beautiful!! We drove to Golden in the morning to our cabin in the woods. The cabin was owned by a couple from Calgary. They had a home on the same property.
- The cabin was right on the river so we saw sockeye salmon pawning and watched Bald Eagles scoop down and eat the fish.
- The only other wildlife we saw was some deer in the backyard and Elk from the road. :) There was a black bear that lived in the woods around the cabin but we never saw him - just his foot prints. (thank you Jesus)
- We ate lunch at one of the two places in this adorable little town, on the way, called Field. Good food and so cozy.
- The cabin was perfection. My body needed the break and rest and Ben was able to "be in the woods" and explore like he wanted. I slept a LOT and watched 5 movies in those 2 days and read 2 books. :)
- One afternoon we went to a nearby Wolf Education Center. Very cool.
- The 2nd afternoon Ben took a 2 hour horse tour and loved every bit of that.
- We never really left the cabin (it was a good 20-30 minutes from the town of Golden) and just ate our meals in. I made a pot of chili that we ate on for lunches and we grilled out steaks one night and had homemade pizza the other. Easy and perfect!
- It was cold each morning (in the 30s) so I enjoyed warming up by the fireplace.