1) Movies, CDs, Music, Books
We went to the library the week before our trip and stocked up on new books, movies and music. We have a travel DVD player that straps to the back of the seat. Landon is a little too young for lengthy movies, but we were still able to get 20-30 minutes at a time here and there with the movies. He really loves the Praise Baby DVDs because it's soothing songs put to video.
I packed some of his favorite snacks, PLUS some new ones he'd never tried - like raisins, fruit snacks and capri suns. The raisins were a life saver. He'd hold the box himself and eat them one by one.
3) New Toys
I went to a couple dollar stores in town and stocked up on a "goody bag" full of new toys for the ride. I also grabbed a couple of his favorites from the house too. Landon loved things with sound the most and some of my homemade toys (see below). We made it through our goody bag on the way there and on the way home, he wasn't as excited about the toys anymore. (which wasn't a good thing...made him mad) So I'd recommend having several that you keep aside for the ride home too.
- Small 9x13 size cookie sheet that served as a place to color, play with magnets, etc. I taped paper to the sheet on one side with painter's tape for coloring. And took a few magnets to play with too.
- I tied tons of different fabric strips together and stuffed them in an empty wet ones container. He'd pull them through the whole in the container's lid, or bring the whole bunch of fabric out and play with it.
- I filled an empty butter tub with several toys. He loved opening and closing the lid and putting things in and out of it.
- I filled an empty parmesan cheese container with pipe cleaners that I'd cut in half to fit. He loved opening and closing the lid and pulling the pipe cleaners in and out through the different lid openings.
Don't forget to bring patience. Make sure you stop every couple hours so your little one can stretch their legs. And remember it might take longer than normal to get there, but you will eventually get there! :)