A couple Summers ago, I read a similar blog post written by a Mom talking about how she was sick of being ashamed of her body in a bathing suit, and therefore, missing out on having fun and making memories with her kids, in the pool, each Summer. She had vowed that she was done and was just going to put on her bathing suit and have fun! (themomcreative.com)
Yes, yes, yes.
I've always said I want to be the Mom going under the water, not trying to keep my hair dry/pretty/makeup on, and playing Marco Polo, and getting drenched because my kids are jumping off the side as I catch them a million times over. That's when the memories are made. I realize my kids are young and need constant adult supervision in the pool. Your kids may be older, know how to swim, or not need that constant supervision. It may be easier for you to sit back, read a book or chat with your friend while your kids play and swim. Maybe your challenge is to remember when they yell "Hey Mom, watch this" or "Hey Mom, come play this dive game with me" you put the book down and hop in.
One of my favorite memories from last Summer was at a pool with one of my best friends and her 2 kids. We were all in the water and our kids were all in their puddle jumpers floating around having a ball. I was holding Landon's hands and playing one of our favorite pool games that my Mom always did with me as a kid. My friend's kids saw us having fun and joined in. You'd have thought I gave them all a $100. They had a BALL! And all because I refused to be the Mom who sat on the side with my cover up on, or on the step with my feet in because I didn't wear my suit.
Ladies, JUST PUT ON YOUR SUIT!!!
Make this the summer that you pull out that suit - or buy a new one - and HAVE SOME FUN!
Now, I know most of you read this and think "yes, I so want to, but......" I GET IT. I have so been there. Believe me.
Let me push back on those thoughts and remind you of a few things:
- Unless you're a 20 year old Victoria Secret Model who hasn't eaten anything but liquid diet, nobody looks perfect in a bathing suit. NOBODY. So know that. We all have our jiggly or dimply parts. We all have those areas with more cushion than we'd like. We all have those areas we wish looked different or have changed over the years. ALL OF US.
- Nobody really cares what you look like in your bathing suit. I've learned this fashion lesson in general (not just bathing suits) over the last several years. There are SO MANY different fashion styles/trends out there that nobody is looking at you thinking "oh my word, look at her!" And honestly, if they are....who cares!? That's their issue, not yours. You're the one with the freedom to have fun and enjoy your Summer judgement free! If I bend over to play with my kids at the pool and my belly pooch isn't sucked in perfectly, and another woman notices and thinks "oooh look at that, ew" in her mind. I SAY KISS IT, Sister!
MY IDENTITY IS NOT IN MY WAIST SIZE AND NEITHER IS YOURS. Your identity is in JESUS CHRIST!
- We're all different shapes and sizes. God made us that way. If me and my best friend wore the EXACT same suit, we'd look totally different. You're not going to look just like her. You are YOU!! BE YOU!!
- If you've had a baby and your body is different......guess what....so is mine! So is every other Momma who has experienced pregnancy and birth out there! If they aren't, they're depriving themselves of some of the foods that you and I are enjoying and LOVING! :) (hello, bread)
- Find the suit that fits YOU. Feel more comfortable in a one piece? Wear it! Like tankinis or bottoms with boyshorts or skirts? Fine by me. Want to wear a 2 piece? DO IT. There are so many different suits out there now, by SO MANY companies. It's possible to find the perfect suit for you!
Because I love yall, and want your Summers to be a BLAST, here are a few places I know of that have awesome suits for all shapes and sizes and styles!
AND - I can't finish without saying this. Yes, you should wear whatever suit you feel comfortable in. Just make sure you're doing it in a way that honors and glorifies the Lord. I have a couple different suits I wear for different occasions. Pool parties with lots of people (males present), backyard kiddie pool with Ben and the kids, Water Park fun, pool day with friends. Each scenario warrants a different suit for me. We can't help what other people think or do, but we can help how we present and handle ourselves.
Just like the blogger said, You'll remember the splashes more than your jiggly belly.